Friday, August 7, 2015

Fawns



This morning I took my walk an hour earlier than usual, thanks to an insomniac cat (see previous post.)  The good thing is that I saw what I think are the twin fawns I saw a lot last spring as newborns, now yearlings.  I think they are the same two because of their personalities.  One came walking towards me, and the other skittered away to vanish in the tree cover.  One is curious and intrepid; the other is shy and afraid of everything.

I met them last spring when I almost stepped on the shy one, so perfectly camouflaged in the tall grass that she was almost invisible.  She was maybe a week old, curled up totally motionless, in the grass.  I backed away from her and then I saw her sister, who sat up and looked at me.  All that spring, summer and fall, they visited my house, walking the path from my studio, which is tucked away at the edge of the deep woods.  And one fawn always trotted right up to the house, almost to the back door, looking right at me, while the other paused at the cedar trees, haltingly picking her way forward until something startled her and she bolted back to the cover of the trees.


I was so happy to see them this morning!  I’m so glad they survived hunting season last fall, as well as the awful winter, which was tough for everyone, bird or beast, flora or fauna.   

No comments:

Post a Comment