Friday, July 31, 2015

Tree frog and mindfulness

Tree frog with spruce needles
This morning Pete the Wondercat woke me up at 3:30 and 4:30 with his howling.  I checked his water bowl at 3:30 and refilled it.  He has a special bowl that must, at all times, be filled with clean water or life, as we know it ends.  But then at 4:30, more howling in spite of the fresh water.  I turned down the fans thinking that they might be hurting his ears, because they were starting to bother mine.  More howling.

I finally got up at 4:45, which is at least an hour earlier than I wanted to be awake, but sleep was not coming back.  I did my morning things – get dressed, take medicine, start fans going again to air out the house, feed cats, eat banana, check email, start a load of laundry, wash dishes, open back screen door, open windows, and voila!  A little tree frog had been stuck between the window and the storm window.    

Peter doesn’t sleep through the night except in deepest winter.  His paces and prowls around, checking on everyone and everything.  I have to keep the window shades down in one bedroom or his sits up all night watching the deer, skunks, groundhogs and rabbits in the front yard.  My land is apparently Grand Central Station for wildlife.  Sometimes he’s up all night catching mice.  Sometimes, he just patrols the house and periodically goes back to sleep.  But last night on his rounds, Pete must have noticed the tree frog stuck in the casement window and had been looking at him for hours.  Hence the howling.  And I had been unmindful.  I had not noticed a little life form hanging out on the window. 

Note to self:  check windows more carefully for frogs before shutting them.

Tree frog with spruce needles


No comments:

Post a Comment