Friday, July 31, 2015

Children, language and poetry


"Bella Principessa" red and white chalk



I’ve never known a child who didn’t love to rhyme.  Toddlers have a special affinity for poetry because they’re really listening to the sounds of words, having just learned them.  With the magical thinking of childhood, it’s possible that the more beautiful and fascinating the words are, the more powerful the child believes them to be.  And the child would be right.  Words can be magical.

I always sang or said children’s songs, nursery rhymes and poetry to my children when they were babies. I sang when I was changing them and dressing them.  They listened with great attention, little bodies quiet, eyes huge, and I thought they were fascinated with poems and songs.  Now that my children are grown, and I know who they are as people, I realize that my infant neurosurgeon and baby genetic research biologist were probably thinking, “What’s she talking about?” and “That makes no sense at all!” 

It never occurred to me that not everyone sings to their babies and toddlers, so when the grandchildren came along I naturally sang to them, too.  Possibly they are listening with the same skeptical thoughts my children had, but the babies seem to like it.  I remember lying in a hammock with my oldest grandchild one morning soon after her baby brother was born, and singing each and every song of our repertoire.  She wanted to hear them all.  I also remember my grandmother singing to me the same songs.    

A couple of months ago, my granddaughters and I were talking discussing something I no longer remember.  What I do remember is this.  “Are you telling me the truth?” the older one, a stickler for details, asked me incredulously.  “Yep,” the younger one said emphatically.  “She’s a thruther.”  I love the exquisite logic:  someone tells lies = liar; someone who tells the truth = truther.  I wish it were that simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment