Friday, August 7, 2015

Bad Plaster Disaster

This morning I planned to make a mold of a sculpture I worked on for a long time and have big plans for.  This is not a test piece, or something I was just goofing around with, but a sculpture I’m counting on turning out well and that I need for shows immediately.  I’m also running out of time.  I have a solo show coming up, I leave for the East coast in two months and I need to get this cast and finished. 

So, I opened a new bag of plaster, which I ordered at ridiculous expense from a big sculpture supply place in NY.  I figured it would be worth the extra money to have good plaster shipped if it was the right stuff, since I ran into problems last year with some plaster that wasn’t sculpture grade casting plaster.  That's a whole other story.  This morning, I was horrified to find that my new plaster was full of lumps.  I don’t mean one or two, but lots and lots of big horrible chunks.  I decided to go ahead and try to make the mold anyway, and break up the lumps the best I could.  I slowly sifted the plaster into a casting bucket of water, crumbling up the lumps.  I ran into some lumps I couldn’t even break up with my fingers, so I set them aside.  When the batch would accept no more plaster, I let it sit until small cracks formed on the plaster on the surface.  All textbook plaster mixing.  When it seemed ready, I plunged my hand into what should have been a thin batch of silky smooth, runny plaster, but instead the plaster was already thickened and setting, grainy and lumpy.  Bad plaster!  Old plaster!  Aaaarrrrgggg!  I washed my hands, wrapped up my sculpture and called NY. 

I’m so proud of myself.  In a twenty minute phone call, I didn’t use any foul language.  I’m getting a refund or a new batch of plaster, I don’t know which.  At this point I don't even care.  I have no idea how I will get everything done on time, but I'm thinking maybe I’ll send the sculpture supply place my bucket of plaster.  I’m going to go water the tomatoes.

Never was there a tale of such woe
As this of a sculptor and bad plaster, Oh!

No comments:

Post a Comment