Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Press release about my next hangnail



I spent the first thirty years of my life as an artist without writing a single press release.  I was brought up to be unobtrusive, to never call attention to myself.  The idea of promoting myself was so alien to me that I never even considered it.  My attitude to publicity and self promotion is perfectly summed up by Emily Dickinson's poem, "I'm Nobody."  But year after year, I kept reading press releases in the paper from an artist I don't know personally, but whose work I don't like or respect.  And every time this artist did anything, even something quite trivial, there was a press release in the paper all about it.  It was relentless, and it drove me nuts!  I finally decided that every time I get a hangnail, I would write a press release, too.  So that's what I'm doing.  I try to keep it down to once a month, and I only write about actual events:  awards, openings, national exhibitions and publications.  I don't make anything up.  I sometimes have to pack numerous nuggets of news into one release to keep it to once a month, but I don't want to overload the public.  Enough already!  I don't want to be a publicity ho.



I'm Nobody!  Who are you?  Emily Dickinson
I’m Nobody! Who are you?
Are you – Nobody – too?
Then there’s a pair of us!
Don’t tell! they’d advertise – you know!
How dreary – to be – Somebody! How public – like a Frog –  To tell one’s name – the livelong June –  To an admiring Bog!


No comments:

Post a Comment