Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Fruition, Better Late than Never



One thing I have to say about getting old is that it takes forever, but it also happens really fast.  Like everyone else it happens to, I’m surprised by the fact that I’m now an old person.  I’m not yet one of those people in the grocery store who gets in your way by walking so slowly.  I still walk fast enough that I zoom ahead of most people.  I still get impatient if I’m stuck behind a SMP (slow moving person.)  But I have to admit that sometimes I walk up the stairs very slowly because it’s painful.  I take meds that cause joint and bone pain, ontop of the various joint and arthritis issues.  I’m now one of those people with saggy, baggy parts on my face and body that I never wanted to look like.  I have joints that don’t want to work and bones that are thinning.  I seem to pull muscles taking a nap.  Gravity is relentless.  Like the warning in Genesis about sin (“Sin crouches at the door; it waits for you.”) gravity is out there, too.

On the other hand, everything I ever really wanted has happened; my dreams have come true; I have my heart’s desire.  I wanted to be an artist and I am.  I wanted children and I am blessed with two wonderful children who are alive and well.  They’ve even grown up to become healthy adults with college degrees and jobs.  And I like them.  Plus, there are grandchildren!!  

Every summer, I celebrate with a BLT made with the first fresh, home grown tomatoes.  Today, I enjoyed the season’s first BLT for lunch and it was glorious, as always.  But I would like to point out that it’s August 29.  I’ve been having salads and pastas with fresh cherry and grape tomatoes and herbs for about a month, but the big 12 oz. full size tomatoes take longer.  And it’s been an odd year for growing things:  late frosts; storms with terrific, destructive winds; not enough rain; a summer that almost didn’t happen it was so short -  maybe 10 days of hot sunny weather.  Sometimes fruition comes late, but that is much, much better than never. 

Gather ye tomatoes while ye may, for Old Time it is a-flying;

The tomatoes that are ripe today, tommorow may be dying.






No comments:

Post a Comment