Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Two color chalk drawings on toned paper

The Red Sweater - red and white chalk




Not all drawing materials are created equal.  For two color chalk drawings, I use Gioconda sanguine chalk and Gioconda black graphite. These are also called "5.6 mm. leads" and they're used in a lead holder. For highlights, I prefer white Conté pencil to any other white.

I loathe charcoal. I have always detested the texture, the scratchy sound, the light weight of it in my hand, the abrasive feel of it on paper. I actually started out drawing with chunks of dried red clay on newsprint, so red chalk is a logical drawing material for me. Chalk is very forgiving; it can be erased and worked over again and again as long as you have a good eraser like a Staedler. Light, sparing touches of white chalk for highlights are the best possible treat of the whole day. The deep quality of chalk smudged with a stump feel generous and rich, but I don't smudge very often. 

Canson mei-tintes paper is my first choice for chalk drawings, which I use for long drawings.  For me, a long drawing is 10 minutes or more; for shorter drawings, I use pen and ink.  The colors of paper that work the best for me are grey and tan, both of which show off white highlights the best.  I buy individual sheets of paper and cut them to fit the size of my drawing boards. My masonite drawing boards are three sizes:  9 x 12", 11 x 16" and 13 x 15.5."  I fold the paper to size and cut it with a kitchen knife, so there's a proper rag edge on one side showing the quality of the paper, as you would on top quality printing paper.  A large sheet of Canson paper will give me two large pieces for my largest drawing board, or four small sheets for my smallest.  The large size results in strips of paper 14 x 4.75", which I use for small drawings, testing new materials and trying out new ideas. Lately, I've been using Strathmore pads of grey paper for graphite and white conte, and really like the texture and finish for life drawings.

I sometimes use watercolor washes with chalk drawings, and for that purpose, Derwent watercolor pencils are great.  For portraits drawings with washes, I especially love their Venetian red watercolor pencils.   

Not surprisingly, my favorites artists for drawing are Watteau, Rubens, Leonardo and Michelangelo.  I try not to think about them when I’m drawing.  They are as incomprehensible to me as the work of Mozart or Shakespeare.  I’m not sure I’m even the same species that they were. 


deborahdendler.com


No comments:

Post a Comment