Friday, June 26, 2015

Choose your battles

Rearing horse, graphite and white chalk

I started my “Rearing Horse” relief sculpture with a drawing based on Leonardo’s study for the “Battle of Anghiari”(see previous blog).  Then I did a drawing study of the skeleton of a rearing horse, and then a drawing study of the muscles.  Once again, I try not to look too much at Leonardo’s drawing after I start the clay, because my work is never going be anything like his.  It’s presumptuous to make a sculpture based on Leonardo’s work.  However, all of my life I’ve looked at Leonardo’s horse drawing and thought that it would make a terrific relief sculpture.  So I finally decided to try it, with thanks and apologies to Leonardo.  I'm one of many artists who have attempted to work from Leonardo's drawings.  It's almost a rite of passage.  Kind of like a violinist trying to play the Brahms violin concerto - you have to try, if only to find out how much more work you have left to do.

Meanwhile, I had a challenging week.  My “Trotting Horse” relief was rejected from an exhibition, which really bothered me, even though it’s the only exhibition rejection I’ve had this year, it’s late June, and I’ve already been in many exhibitions.  I was so disgruntled that I didn’t even check to see the results of another show, consequently, I didn’t know I’d won an award the same day I got my rejection.  You can’t have a fragile ego or thin skin to be a practising artist.  Rejection is part of the game, and you have to accept your losses and move on.  But this one got to me.  So I trudged around, feeling like a failure for four days when I could have at least felt good about the award I won.  Dumb.  I chose to hang on to that pain instead of feeling positive, or at least neutral – one win, one lose.  Very dumb.

Meanwhile, I’ve been glazing, firing and mounting the “Trotting Horse” to ship next week to an equine art exhibition across the country.  These horse reliefs are an experiment.  I don’t know anything about horses except that they’re beautiful.  I've never done any horse sculptures before.  I’ll find out what the equine art people think of my horses; they will let me know if I’ve made some anatomical bloopers or not.  I’m also experimenting with porcelain for the first time with these reliefs, which is techincally difficult and challenging.  This makes me think of Leonardo.

It’s difficult to associate Leonardo da Vinci, the greatest of artists, with failure, but not everything he did was a glorious success.  Two Leonardo drawings that I used as a basis for relief sculptures were preparatory drawings for lost works of Leonardo’s that were not successes.  One drawing was for the monumental “Gran Cavallo" horse sculpture that was never completed and which 16th c. soldiers used for target practice.  The other was a preparatory drawing for the lost painting of the “Battle of Anghiari” in which Leonardo experimented with painting materials new to him and which literally slid off the wall.  As I’ve worked on these two reliefs, I can’t help thinking about this:  Leonardo, the greatest of all great artists, had failures, too.  Both the Gran Cavallo and the Battle of Anghiari were failures largely the result of experimenting with new materials and/or new techniques.  It’s interesting that Leonardo forged ahead trying out new things, apparently without a backup plan in case something didn’t work.  And he did his experiments in public, for the whole world to see.   

The Battle of Anghiari was intended to be part of a tryptich for a huge long wall in the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence.  The opposite wall was supposed to have been painted by Michelangelo, but he didn’t finish his wall, either.  I like to think of these two guys backing up to see their work, as painters do, and bumping into each other.  What a shame they didn’t like each other and instead of commenting, “Hey, great leg!” or “Wonderful horse!” there was only silence and hostility.  But the space is dark and unpleasant.  I can see why nobody wanted to work there.  And if the paintings had been finished, nobody could have ever seen them properly, because there isn’t enough room to step back and look at the painting from a distance.  (Like the Guggenheim, another stupid exhibition space by Frank Lloyd Wrong many centuries later, but that’s another story.)

Leonardo’s final self portrait drawing in red chalk does not show the face of a happy, peaceful man gratified with the rewards of a life well spent.  I see an embittered, discouraged man, his unflinchingly clear eyes haunted by failure and his lips pulled down with disappointment and disillusionment.  His expression is one of almost grim determination.  This is a man who is discouraged, but not beaten.  When I was young, I thought this drawing showed Leonardo’s sorrow and exasperation with the ignorance and foolishness of his time.  Now that I am the same age he was when he drew it, I think it was probably his own failures, frailties and errors that created that expression.  Those are the hardest to live with. 


"I have offended God and mankind because my work didn't reach the quality it should have."

    Leonardo da Vinci




Rearing horse, about half finished

Perfectionism is not easy, and no one aimed higher than Leonardo.  He tried to draw everything he saw and he saw everything.  But not even the supremely gifted Leonardo was always successful.  He wasn't afraid to experiment or risk failure.  You can’t win them all.  But you can’t win if you don’t enter.  Failure is part of learning.  So go ahead, make mistakes.  Learn from them.  And then do it again, only this time, make new mistakes.  



"Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind."
Leonardo da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment